Mission and history
History and the present of the Jessenius Faculty of Medicin
Jessenius Faculty of Medicine Comenius University (JFMED CU) is one of three medical faculties of public universities in the Slovak Republic. Its history dates back to 1962 when detached workplace of Bratislava Faculty of Medicine was established in Martin. Independent faculty was established in 1969 and became an integral part of Comenius University.
JFMED CU holds forefront position in the field of graduate medical education at home and abroad. It provides all cycles of education and provides the opportunity to study in the study programs of General Medicine, Dentistry and in non-medical study programs of Nursing, Midwifery and Public Health. JFMED CU was the first faculty of medicine in Slovakia that , in the academic year 1990/1991, started to provide 5-year master's degree in the study program of nursing and as the first one opened, in the academic year 1991/1992, the study of General Medicine in English for foreign students – tuition payers. JFMED CU is actively involved in the education of PhD. students. The number of students studying at particular cycles and forms of study in accredited study programs stands over the years at about 1,500 students.
The Faculty also provides further education of health care professionals - specialized training, certification study programs and programs of continuing education. In 2009, as the first of the Slovak medical faculties conducted the exam in specialized study.
Besides educational activities, the Faculty´s priority is also curative and preventive care. It has theoretical, preclinical and clinical workplaces equipped with modern technology. The Faculty has teaching bases at medical facilities, most of which is concentrated in Martin University Hospital. In total, JFMED employs 430 employees.
Scientific and research activity represents the source of acquiring new knowledge which is used for education of future generations which has been gradually formed into six complex research areas: problems of respiratory system in health and disease, care for a mother and a child, the issue of malignant tumor diseases, problems of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system, problems of selected internal diseases and the area of adverse effects of living and working environment. JFMED CU has three Centers of Excellence which were established with the support of EU structural funds as a part of network of excellent workplaces of research and development. These are the Centre of Excellence for Perinatal Research, Centre of Experimental and Clinical Respirology and Centre of Excellence for Research in Personalized Therapy.
JFMED CU is successful at getting grants from domestic and foreign grant schemes, it is involved in international projects, is active in the field of international relations, has signed bilateral agreements with foreign universities, faculties and institutions. It has strong publication activity. During its existence, around 17,400 publication outputs and 18,000 citations have been recorded. Since 2001, the Faculty publishes its own scientific journal Acta Medica Martiniana. Academic Ranking and Rating Agencies ARRA repeatedly evaluated JFMED CU as the best medical faculty in Slovakia.
JFMED CU has been successful in implementation of long-term intention in the field of acquiring and construction of new premises for the activities in the field of teaching and science and research, particularly to centralize the premises in one location - in the urban area for education, culture and relax at Mala Hora. The Faculty supports club, sports, cultural and scientific activities of students in Martin club of medical students.
Since its establishment , JFMED CU has developed into the institution which enhances the level of education by creating a knowledge profile and moral profile of graduates, contributes to creating high-quality conditions for study, it has excellent credit also abroad and fulfils scientific research program.
Mission of the Jessenius Faculty of Medicine
JFMED CU in Martin is an integral part of Comenius University in Bratislava with the rights and obligations resulting from relevant legal norms, including the Statute of CU and the Statute of JFMED CU.
The main mission of the Faculty is to develop and spread education and take care of its deep understanding. As a research institution, the Faculty conducts scientific research and thus opens new horizons in science as well as in education.
JFMED CU defines its aims and priorities out of its own will and members of the academic community freely use academic rights during performance of their profession. The Faculty guarantees freedom and democracy not only on the academic ground but considers dissemination of these principles to the whole society as part of its mission.
As a higher education institution which is a part of Comenius University, prominent centre of European education and university with international orientation, defines its strategic objectives as follows:
- to sustain and develop its identity as a research and educational institution of the highest international level,
- to create excellent conditions for education in a wide range of study programs at all study cycles, with particular emphasis on doctoral studies,
- to prepare its graduates so as to represent not only the highest degree of personal and professional quality, but also humanity and humanism,
- to improve scientific and cultural perspectives of the society as well as its economic prosperity
JFMED CU pays special attention to the continuous assessment of the level of their scientific work and instruction so that the students could be supervised by top experts - scientists and educators.
The main focus of the faculty is aimed at three fields: teaching, scientific and research, and curative and preventive, with a different scope. JFMED CU has the ambition to contribute to the effort of CU to become the leading center of European education.
Mission of JFMED CU is carried out within the following academic profile of the Faculty:
a) the field of education: basic mission of JFMED CU in the field of education is to provide, develop and spread education among those who long for it as well as to educate graduates in accordance with up-to-date knowledge in science, namely:
- in accredited university study programmes – in doctor study programmes of General Medicine and Dental Medicine, in bachelor and master study programme of Nursing (full-time and part-time form of study), in bachelor study programmes of Midwifery and Public Health, the standard of which is compatible with education in European Union countries in accordance with criteria required for regulated professions,
- in doctoral study programmes of the 3rd cycle in accredited 15 fields of science (Biophysics, Biochemistry, General Biology, Normal and Pathological Physiology, Pharmacology, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Neurology, Otorhinolaryngology, Toxicology, Clinical Pharmacology, Nursing, Pathology Anatomy, Forensic Medicine) and in 12 fields of study (Normal and Pathological Physiology, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Dermatovenerology, Pathological Anatomy and Forensic Medicine, Clinical Pharmacology, Medical Biophysics, Clinical and Pharmacological Biochemistry, Pharmacology; Nursing) for Slovak citizens and international students
- within postgraduate specialized study in accredited fields for the category of health-care professionals – a doctor: Internal Medicine; Diabetology, Metabolic and Nutrition Disorders; Urology; Neurology; Surgery; Pneumology and Phthisiology; Hematology and Transfusiology; Gynecology and Obstetrics; Infectology; Dermatovenereology; Pediatrics; Pathological Anatomy; Otorhinolaryngology; General medicine; Gastroenterology; Pediatric Surgery; Public Health; Occupational Medicine for the category of health-care professionals – a Nurse: Nursing care in the fields of Surgery and in the study programmes of continuing education: mentor of clinical practice in nursing; nursing care for chronic wounds; nursing care for stoma patient
- to provide further life-long professional education within the University of the Third Age
b) the field of scientific research: the mission of the faculty is conducted in a free and unlimited scientific research with a focus on integration both within the faculty, as well as externally with an increasing emphasis on efficiency of research projects and education of next generation. There are 6 complex research areas which have been formed at JFMED CU: respiratory problems in health and disease, mother and child care, the issue of malignancies, diseases of central and peripheral nervous system, problems of selected internal diseases and the field of adverse environmental effects and adverse effects of work environments. Research in this area concentrates a substantial part of human and economic capacities of JFMED CU and fundamentally contributes to the results of research activities and increased qualification of employees JFMED CU.
c) curative-preventive field: mission is implemented through the Faculty´s involvement in providing health and nursing care for the citizens of the Slovak Republic and in the programming and implementing further development of this health-care in the context of medical progress.
Development of education and scientific research in integrated form is carried out by promoting ŠVOČ (Students´ Research and Scientific and Activity) and doctoral studies as a precondition for education and growth of a new generation of university experts in medicine and nursing, as well as by participation in the programmes of postgraduate specialized training. Doctoral studies at JFMED CU are understood as a precondition for growth of a new generation of high-quality university teachers, doctors and researchers. Faculty, as one of the first accredited medical schools in Slovakia, provides specialized training for doctors and wants to continue in the development of this programme within the criteria of UEMS.
In addition, the Faculty also provides further education, library and information services and through CU carries out publishing activities, which is mainly associated with research and teaching activities of its academic community.
Ensuring the tasks according to the above mentioned academic profile, JFMED CU has not only regional but also national and international scope of its activities. In addition, by providing professional diagnostic and curative and preventive activities to patients from the regions and the whole Slovakia, the Faculty has a regional and national scope of activites. JFMED CU also performs other tasks – e.g. assessment and expertise activities for different sectors and the like. The international scope of the Faculty´s activities is also in development of existing bilateral contractual relations and non-contractual cooperation with different international institutions.